Categories


Tags

CrisisCoordinationYouthSexual ViolenceWomenChildrenMaoriMenEthnicFamilyParentingElderLegalCounsellingDisabilityEducation


Archive

Weekly Media Roundup

September 17, 2021 at 3:03 PM

Stuff: South African family in triple homicide had been in Timaru for just a week

 

The family of three young children found dead in a homicide in Timaru had been in the town for just a week, after arriving in New Zealand from South Africa and leaving managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ).

The children, twin girls aged 3 and another of 7, were found dead after emergency services were called to a property in Queen St in the suburb of Parkside shortly after 10pm on Thursday.

The suspected killer – a woman – was taken to the nearby Timaru Hospital, where she is in a moderate condition.

Read more...

 

RNZ: Timaru tragedy: Three children dead, woman in hospital as police investigate 

 

RNZ: Manurewa homicide: Man charged over 16yo girl's death 

A 23-year-old man has been arrested and charged with murdering a 16-year-old girl, whose body was found in Manurewa over the weekend. 

He is due to appear in Manukau District Court this afternoon. 

"The victim was a young girl who was extremely loved by her family and friends and they are absolutely devastated by what has happened to her," Detective Senior Sergeant Mike Hayward said. 

"Their welfare is a priority for police and we are working to support them during this difficult time, along with Victim Support." 

 

NZ Herald: New Lynn mall hero praised by police as victims release statements 

New Lynn mall attack victim Rodney Khan has been lauded a hero and acknowledged for his bravery in confronting the armed terrorist in the suburban supermarket. 

Khan rushed towards the terrorist and distracted him - in doing so being injured himself but preventing harm to others, police said. 

"A review of CCTV has shown that without hesitation Rodney ran straight towards danger when he heard members of the public in distress, and he distracted the terrorist who then turned on him," Detective Superintendent Tim Anderson said. 

"We have no doubt that Rodney's actions on that day prevented further injury to others and while he is very humble about what he did, his actions were nothing short of 
heroic. 

"Rodney is at home recovering from a dislocated shoulder and being well supported by family and friends." 

Five victims are now at home recovering. Three remain in Auckland Hospital on the wards in a stable condition. They were hospitalised on Friday, September 3, after they were stabbed with a knife by 32-year-old Ahamed Aathil Mohamed Samsudeen, a Sri Lankan refugee. 

 

Newshub: Charity Shine urges those in danger to pop COVID-19 bubble amid escalation in domestic violence during lockdown 

A domestic violence charity has launched a new campaign to raise awareness of family harm during lockdown. 

 

Stuff: 'Screams and yelling' as stabbing attack leaves woman fighting for life 

Neighbours heard screams and yelling in the aftermath of an early-morning stabbing attack that left a woman fighting for her life. 

A man was arrested after the serious assault in suburban Christchurch early on Thursday. 

The incident is believed to be family harm-related. Those involved lived together. 

Police were called to Norwich St in Linwood just before 5am, and St John said the injured woman was taken to hospital in a critical condition. 

Police would not confirm whether any weapons were used in the incident, but Stuff understands the victim received stab wounds. 

 

Stuff: Covid-19: Experts predict growing pressure on south Auckland mental health services 

Mental Health Foundation CEO Shaun Robinson is predicting a growth in demand for mental health services in south Auckland as people grapple with the pressures of the latest Covid-19 lockdown. 

The area has been hit hard by the latest outbreak of the pandemic, with 381 cases linked to a church in Māngere. 

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced on Monday that the Auckland region would remain in alert level 4 for at least another week. 

But Robinson said the impact on people’s mental wellbeing in affected areas like south Auckland will continue to be felt even after the city moves out of the current lockdown. 

 

Stuff: Multiple stab wounds leave young woman disfigured and disabled 

Stabbed more than 20 times, a young Wellington international student has been left permanently disabled by the man she was seeing. 

When neighbours heard panicked screaming coming from the Thorndon Quay flat in February they called police. 

They arrived to find the man outside smoking while inside the 26-year-old victim was bleeding from her wounds. 

The pair had been in an on-and-off again relationship when they got into an argument. He strangled her then went into the kitchen for a knife, before stabbing her multiple times around the neck, arms, shoulders and chest. 

 

Stuff: Stabbing attack accused appears in court with a black eye 

A man accused of stabbing a woman at a suburban home in Christchurch has appeared in court with a black eye and wearing a hospital gown. 

Police allege Lua-ai Lavea, 68, attacked the woman at their home in Norwich St, Linwood, just before 5am on Thursday. 

Neighbours heard screams and yelling in the immediate aftermath of the serious assault, which is believed to be family harm-related. 

The woman was critically injured and was rushed to Christchurch Hospital. 

Stuff: Parents confront man who sexually groomed teenaged daughter 

Parents of a teenage girl who was bombarded with sexually explicit text messages from a 25-year-old have ensured he begins his sentence in no doubt about their feelings towards him. 

Hastings man James Fulford, 25, was the stage manager in a theatre production last year when he met his victim, a 15-year-old girl who was a dancer in the show. 

Over 20 days late last year Fulford and the girl exchanged well over 200 Snapchat messages. The messages became explicit and made it clear he wanted to have sex with the girl, and that he knew her age. 

 

Stuff: Australian deportee inflicts 'domestic terrorism' on partner 

An Australian deportee has appeared in court after inflicting a “sustained piece of domestic terrorism” on his partner. 

Andre Hoani Bishop, 33, was sentenced in the Invercargill District Court on Wednesday after admitting a raft of charges including injuring with intent, suffocation, indecent assault and threatening to kill. 

Judge Raoul Neave described the relationship between Bishop and the female victim as “exceptionally toxic”, with both being methamphetamine users. 

Though the victim stopped using methamphetamine in the days before the offending, Bishop kept consuming and his behaviour became more erratic until it disintegrated into violence, the judge said. 



Category: News Media