Categories


Tags

Sexual ViolenceCounsellingEducationMenFamilyEthnicElderCrisisDisabilityMaoriLegalParentingChildrenYouthCoordinationWomen


Archive

Weekly Media Roundup

July 08, 2021 at 9:44 PM

Newsroom: ‘Bullying and nepotism’ - Who’s running our Youth Justice residences?

Since our whistleblower story broke last week, Newsroom has been inundated with even more allegations from multiple insiders over other Oranga Tamariki-run youth residences which reveal a ‘boys’ club’ culture amongst staff, and restraints against children going unreported or getting ‘stuck’ at management level

Read more…

 

RNZ: Oranga Tamariki reports show numerous instances of staff harming children

There have been 40 instances where Oranga Tamariki staff have physically harmed children in their care in the last two-and-a-half years.

The figure comes from the Ministry for Children's own public reporting on abuse in care, which it has been publishing since 2019.

Oranga Tamariki has been under-fire after Newsroom published a leaked video showing a young person being tackled, restrained and held in a headlock by staff at the ministry's care and protection unit in Christchurch.

Read more…

 

The Spinoff: ‘Nothing changes unless there’s public embarrassment’: the stain of state treatment of children in 2021

On the face of it, Oranga Tamariki’s leadership has come a long way from where it was two years ago. But why does it take media exposure for those in charge to do the bare minimum?

Read more…

 

RNZ: Abuse in care: Children's Commissioner urges govt to re-instate breadth of inquiry

The Children's Commissioner is warning that money-saving measures will result in the need for a second Royal Commission into abuse in care.

Ministers removed the current inquiry's ability to investigate modern cases of abuse in April to save both cash and time.

Andrew Becroft has now written to the government and urged it to re-instate the inquiry's power to investigate incidences of abuse since 2000.

He is warning the government will be handed an incomplete report if this doesn't happen.

Read more...

 

Newsroom: Crown failures mount over Lake Alice

Authorities knew by the late 1990s something – possibly criminal – had gone wrong at Lake Alice, NZ’s top lawyer says. What did they do about it? David Williams reports.

Read more…

 

Stuff: Pasikifa abuse hearings 'a start' in long process says leading lawyer

This month’s hearing into Pasifika experiences of abuse in state care is only the beginning of a long process, says the lawyer leading the investigation.

In the wake of the government’s announcement that it will formally apologise for the violent attacks on, and evictions of, Pacific Islanders in the 1970s known as the Dawn Raids, some worry the proposed event wouldn’t be inclusive enough.

But next month at the Fale o Samoa in Mangere, everyone is invited to have their voice heard during a two-week Pacific Hearing, as part of the Royal Commission of Inquiry into Abuse in Care.

Read more...

 

Stuff: The healing men are experiencing through a Christchurch barbershop

Mataio and Sarah Brown founded anti-violence movement, She Is Not Your Rehab, in Christchurch, in a bid to heal intergenerational violence and improve men’s mental health. VICKI ANDERSON reports.

Read more…

 

RNZ: ACC defends closure of specialised unit handling claims from sexual abuse victims

Some therapists say they have been surprised by ACC's decision to shut down its sensitive claims unit as they were not consulted.

The Wellington-based sensitive claims unit was "disestablished" in September 2020 but its axing has only just come to light.

Claims are now being dealt with by teams of case managers across eight regional offices, sparking concerns about privacy.

Read more...

 

Stuff: Clinicians, survivors not consulted ahead of ACC 's closure of specialised unit handling claims from sexual abuse

Read more…

 

1 News: ACC's Sensitive Claims process 'not really fit for purpose': sexual violence support org

An organisation supporting victims of sexual violence has called the ACC Sensitive Claims process "not really fit for purpose".

Mosaic provides support for male victims of sexual abuse in Wellington for free, but chief executive Richard Jeffrey told 1 NEWS ACC’s process of approving counsellors is letting people down.

The charity organisation is ACC registered, but has struggled to get its counsellors accredited as ACC providers.

Read more...

 

1 News: Students, teachers across NZ to be surveyed about sexual abuse and harassment

Students and teachers across New Zealand will be surveyed about sexual abuse and harassment.

Associate Education Minister Jan Tinetti told 1 NEWS that two surveys will be carried out, as a result of the new relationships and sexuality education guidelines introduced late last year.

She said the guidelines also make it compulsory for all schools to teach sexual consent education.

“I want to see the results of those two surveys and I also want to see how embedded the guidelines are becoming into the curriculum and then I will be looking at decisions,” said Tinetti.

Read more...

 

1 News: Christchurch teens told to call out peers after sexual harassment survey

Teenagers are being told to call out their peers after a survey at a Christchurch school revealed high rates of sexual harassment.

Student leaders from over 60 schools in the city want young men to stop cat-calling and so-called locker-room talk, and have agreed to encourage a change in behaviour.

Christchurch Boys High School head boy Henry Allott said they’ve been promoting a message of “five seconds of courage”.

“What that means is if boys see someone doing something or saying something that they know isn’t ok, they build the courage and call them out,” said Allott.

Read more...

 

Stuff: Sexual harassment hits multi generations, with assaults also in primary schools

Sexual harassment and assaults of female secondary students were thrust into the national focus this week when a Christchurch school survey revealed many young women have been harassed. NADINE PORTER discovers these problems are not new, reaching even the youngest children in the playground.

Read more…

 

RNZ: Putting victims at the centre of reporting

The media has sometimes been guilty of sidelining, shrugging off, or silencing sexual assault and harassment victims. Stuff's Kirsty Johnston talked to Mediawatch about how to put them at the centre of reporting.

When Tarryn Flintoff decided to reveal the abusive behaviour of her ex-partner, former National Party candidate Jake Bezzant, people told her to go to the media.

She was not convinced, choosing her own podcast as the medium instead.

"I just didn't want to. Because it had taken me so much courage to do this in the first place, and I was so concerned about how it would affect him... I just wanted to move on," she said.

Flintoff would later go on to give media interviews, but it’s understandable she was initially keen to tell her story another way.

Our news organisations have not always distinguished themselves with their sensitive handling of sexual assault and harassment allegations.

Read more...

 

The Spinoff: How the mission’s new home will bring medical help to Auckland’s homeless

After three years on Union Street, the Auckland City Mission is moving back to Hobson Street. We spoke to the mission’s healthcare team about what changes are on the horizon.

Read more…

 

Stuff: Not convicting man who recording woman in change room neglects 'true harm' caused

A judge who let a man making a covert recording in a changing room off the hook – saying women are “probably more sensitive” than men about being filmed without their knowledge – is not fit to preside over sexual assault trials, a leading victims’ advocate says.

Christchurch District Court Judge John Brandts-Giesen granted James Edward Head a discharge without conviction after he pleaded guilty to making an intimate visual recording.

Head had put his cellphone under the wall of an adjoining cubicle to film a woman trying on clothes in December 2019. He said he acted impulsively when he noticed a woman was in the changing room next to his and did not think of the consequences.

It is not the first time a Judge Brandts-Giesen decision has been overturned on appeal – and Louise Nicholas, a well-known advocate for survivors of sexual violence, said he should now “step away from sexual violence trials of any type”.

Read more...

 

NZ Herald: Man who killed wife during belated honeymoon 'wanted her to be quiet', court told

A man on trial for killing his wife during their belated honeymoon in Te Anau said he snapped and he just wanted her to be quiet.

Rodney Stuart Fallowfield admitted the killing, but said he did not intend to murder Shirley Reedy.

The jury trial for Fallowfield, 53, began before Justice Jan-Marie Doogue in the High Court at Invercargill today.

He is charged with murdering Reedy at a Te Anau motel on May 15, 2020.

Read more...

 

Stuff: Auckland man granted parole after planning sex attack on girl with her mother

A man who sexually assaulted a teenager after planning the attack with her mother has been released from prison on parole.

Luke Aaron Smith was sentenced to six years and six months in prison in July 2017 after admitting sexually violating the 14-year-old while she was unconscious.

He had met the girl's mother on an online dating website about a month earlier and in a series of Skype messages, the pair had hatched a plan to assault the victim, the Auckland District Court heard.

Read more...

 

NZ Herald: Jilted and enraged man threatened to torch ex-girlfriend in her car

Their relationship only lasted 10 weeks but when it broke down, a Dunedin man sent his ex-girlfriend 100 messages in a day.

The breakup was a surprise to Shaun Matthew Cavanagh, his counsel Alan de Jager said, not that that excused the torrent of rage that subsequently flowed from the 42-year-old.

Cavanagh appeared in the Dunedin District Court yesterday after pleading guilty to a charge of threatening to kill.

Read more...

 

Stuff: Man jailed for 19 years for raping five domestic partners

A Northland man who used threats of death to terrorise and rape five intimate partners has been sent to jail for 19 years.

A jury found the 38-year-old Ruakākā man guilty of 33 charges of rape, threatening to kill, sexual violation and assault.

Read more...

 

Newshub: Palmerston North man Malachai Wylie who stole, spat in women's shoes discharged without conviction

Warning: This article contains graphic details and images, and discusses sexual misconduct.

A Palmerston North man who pleaded guilty to stealing and spitting in women's shoes has been discharged without conviction. 

Malachai Wylie appeared in the Palmerston North District Court on Wednesday a month after pleading guilty to two counts of offensive behaviour and one of theft.

Newshub revealed in May Wylie was allegedly stealing shoes from his co-workers at Number One Shoes in Palmerston North, defiling them by spitting or ejaculating into them and then posting pictures of the shoes on a fetish site.

Read more...



Category: News Media